Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Giving up, or taking charge?

Shrove Tuesday came and went last week, and on Wednesday evening I realized that I hadn't yet decided what I was going to be giving up for Lent.  I was having this internal discussion with myself as I raised a glass of red wine to my mouth, so giving up alcohol was evidently out.  As was sweet stuff, sugar, and bread, all of which I'd had at some point during the day.  Maybe I'll do one of those things where I give up a negative feeling, I thought.  I then had some more wine and then forgot about it for the rest of the night.

The next day, I decided that I would try to have 40 days and 40 nights free of Facebook (though by this time it was Thursday so it wouldn't even be a month by the time I got around to committing to this!).  I don't think I'm necessarily as addicted as I could be to Facebook, but I probably do spend an awful lot of time in there, truth be told.  Sometimes posting, of course, sometimes reading and commenting on what others have posted, sometimes, I imagine, searching for something that is going to pop out of the screen at me and say, "Thank goodness you're reading this - because if you weren't on Facebook this very instant, you might very well miss this very important thing that is going to change your life in the most amazing way possible!!!"  Yeah, surprisingly, I haven't had anything like that happen.  Yet.  That said, it does provide a lot of smiles and a sense of connectedness to many people who are very far away, so I do very much appreciate what it does.

Nonetheless, I thought about what I could possibly do with that time, and decided that really it would be a challenge and therefore a good thing to try to give up in Lent.  I had to check in on a few things to make sure that if someone tried to get in direct contact with me via Facebook, that I would at least get a message in my email so that I'd know about it, and finally on Sunday, I put a message up and changed my profile picture to "Gone Fishing".  We'll see how it goes.  So far, over the weekend I managed to finish two books (The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes, and Gold by Chris Cleave - I'd recommend both of them), and finally started my training for the triathlon I've signed up for in August.  Coincidence in productivity?  Probably....

I'm pretty sure that I won't cheat on looking, and I imagine that I'll be pretty ready to see what's going on in the FB universe when Easter rolls around, but I look forward to having some of that time back.  And maybe, just maybe, spending less time in FB will encourage me to spend more time here, which is where I'd like to be when I'm online.

This was the funniest image I found when I was looking for good ones to go with this post!

No comments: