Monday, March 31, 2014

Daddy Matt'll make you jump, jump

For the past couple of weeks, Blake has decided that he was a bit of a non-conformist.  It started a while ago, now that I think about it; I picked him up a few times after school and he had the sweatshirt of his uniform inside out.  Over time, he's gradually shifted so that he wears his sweatshirt under his polo shirt, which is now the item that's turned inside out.  I had asked his teacher about it when he first did it, and her reply was something to the effect of "He's an individual, so he can do what he wants."  I thought, at the time, that her response was very empathetic, and liberal in its appreciation of his individualism.  Since then, I probably really haven't had the energy to try to convince him otherwise, and generally it kind of all looks like a sea of blue and red anyway, so I wasn't too concerned.

One of the characteristics of our week is that Matt, due to his rather crappy commute - and frankly, due to his ease at waking up in the morning which I lack - leaves the house sometime between 6:30 and 7:00 each morning.  That leaves me about an hour to get myself and the boys ready to get out of the house, which feels like no easy feat.  Blake has always been pretty responsible about getting himself dressed, so when I take stock of everything a few minutes before we need to leave and see that he is wearing clothes at all, that feels like a result.  Usually, the situation several minutes before we need to leave, and creeping into several minutes after we need to leave, is that Noah is still in his pj's and shows no sign of interest in donning day attire.  It's all kind of exhausting.

Last week was different. Matt worked from home on Friday so he was around to attend to the morning activities, and at some point I overheard a strong conversation with Blake about the direction of Blake's clothes.  Matt wasn't having it, so I went down to see what the rationale was.  Matt's points were fair, if a little  generous in terms of Blake's influencing abilities: "All the other kids will want to do the same thing, and then they'll have fights with their parents who won't want to let them.  And then if the parents do let them, then the whole class will be wearing their uniforms wrong and the head teacher will get wind of it and it will come out that Blake started it."  Oh, ok...well, when you put it like that, I guess I do understand why it might not be such a good thing to encourage his free-thinking.
Anyway, Blake went to school with his uniform looking as it should.  He came home with it looking as it should too, so I guess Matt's words had the desired effect. I couldn't help but think of the 90's rap duo Kriss Kross and wonder if their parents had had similar debates with them about how they wore those baseball jerseys and jeans.  Probably not. Here's an assortment of some other odd outfits we've seen in the past few weeks...

One half of a modern-day British Kriss Kross:
 The tie wouldn't be that strange apart from this was what he chose to wear to swimming on a Saturday morning...
 Very fetching with the red wristbands...
 Noah goes incognito...

No comments: