Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What I've been doing while not blogging

I firmly believe that all things happen for a reason.  It feels like so long since I sat down here to write about the activities of our life expressed through the late-night workings of my mind.  Who would know where to start to try to recap the months that have flown by?  I just had a mental image of a dog, wearing sunglasses, sitting in the passenger seat of a car, its head out the window.  It's night, and the car's on a freeway, so I'm not sure the reason for the sunglasses.  I guess I feel a little like that dog I'm picturing - mouth open, tongue wagging, the world rushing by.  Is she having fun?  Or is she overwhelmed?  Maybe she's convinced her owner to take her out to a bar, like Spuds MacKenzie.  Advertising in the '80's that I can remember - Spuds was definitely a very effective campaign.

Anyway, on to some sort of point.  The summer was busy - well, I mean, what do I mean by "summer"? - the year has been busy.  We had a completely non-existent spring here in the UK, and by that I mean that it was just perpetually about 50 degrees into the end of May.  It was starting to get really depressing, and then suddenly, it got really really nice!  Enough to make people now refer to it as one of the "best summers ever" in terms of weather.  I guess that might not be not untrue, but we were really desperately owed something after the unpleasantness of April, May and June!

Am I really droning on about weather 4 months ago?!  This must be what happens when you lose momentum in writing, in particular on a medium that often read in the past as a regular reportage of daily events.  Back in July, I turned 37.  37.  A kind of strange age, a prime number (yuck), although now that I think about it, maybe I need to reconsider my interpretation of "prime" numbers being bad - maybe in fact they're good, like prime-time!  Yes, maybe I'm actually arriving into prime time!  This starts to get better.  What seemingly did happen when I had my birthday was that I decided to do a couple of things to really get some aspects of life - like my weight, my fitness levels, my overall command of a household - in check.  After our vacation to France, that is.  How anyone could be on a diet in France, I have no idea.  So we went to France, had a wonderful two weeks at a caravan site that was on the beach and also had access to pools, and then we came back and I started a "new year".  One of the things that I have vowed to do is to write more, and I am fresh from a creative writing workshop this weekend where I had two whole days of that.  It was wonderful!  I also, in France, finally got back into reading, a favorite hobby that had just deserted me for the first half of the year.  I had J.K. Rowling's A Casual Vacancy from the library, and really loved spending time with those crazy residents of Pagford during the 5 or so days I spent with them.  Our trip was the last-chance saloon for my reading that book since I'd already renewed it three times and most definitely had to return it when we got back.  I then picked up Donna Tartt's A Secret History from the clubhouse at the site, and felt surprised and pleased to discover that one unexpectedly.  Very dark and strange but pretty riveting.  Since we've been back I also really adored Eat, Pray, Love (I haven't seen it but people say the movie was awful; the book, however, is wonderful).  It had me craving gelato, wondering where my closest ashram is, and wishing I had done more traveling to faraway places when I'd had the spare time and spare money (ok, so I never had spare money; no need to regret then!).  Latest up is Caitlin Moran's Moranthology - she's a British writer/journalist and this is a collection of her columns; they are absolutely hilarious. There's one about an interview she had with Gordon Brown when he was Prime Minister and she basically gets there 20 minutes late because she underestimated how long it would take her.  So funny, and so real. 

So there you have it: I haven't been here on the blog because I've been reading. Selfish, I know.  But, then again, I'm back now, and one of the things that we talked about on the course this weekend was that reading helps make one's writing better.  I hope it all hasn't been wasted time.

No comments: