Thursday, March 14, 2013

Why I write

On Monday when I picked Noah up at nursery, I got a little talk about how they think he is ready for potty training.  It was about this time in Blake's life (about a month before his 3rd birthday) that we did potty training, so I think that they are probably right about Noah being ready.  He hasn't shown a great deal of interest in it, so far, but then again, neither did Blake.  Their main reason for thinking that it's probably worth doing is that he's dry much of the day when they go to change him.  That just caused me to think, "I wonder if he's dehydrated?" whereas they see it as that he's able to hold in his bladder and not just wet himself.  They're probably right.

So in that sense, he's probably ready.  Where he does also seem ready is in his awareness about when he needs to do a #2, and the privacy that he seeks when that moment arrives.  This weekend he actually went into some bushes in a pub garden when he needed to do a poo, protesting for me to "Go away, Mommy!" while he tended to his business.  Tonight he didn't want to try to sit on the toilet or the potty, but he did go to this little space between the living room door and the sofa, which was the cue that someone would have to change a stinky diaper in the immediate future.  However, what I remember from Blake is that there's a big difference between the *awareness* of needing a poo, and what happens when all that stinky stuff doesn't get contained in that ginormous diaper, and how messy that disconnect can be.

Blake and I had some fun tonight re-reading my blog posts about his potty training.  Some of the stories made him laugh which was one of the best feelings I've ever had about maintaining this blog.  It took us back to that moment, it allowed me to review what was going on at the time and how I handled it, and it proved - very importantly - that what was probably a very difficult time was equally something now that we don't sweat over much.  This, too, shall pass, as my mother says. 

I also discovered tonight that potty training Noah should perhaps be easier than it was for Blake, due to a self-nominated Potty Training Assistantship role that Blake will be performing.  He very quickly set about creating Noah's sticker chart - setting up 9 days across the top of a blank white piece of paper, by the end of which Noah *surely* will have mastered this all!  He then very kindly read to Noah while N lounged on his luxury potty chair.  Nothing came of it, but he did earn 2 stickers for trying.  I'm not expecting any miracles with this one whatsoever, but I guess it is good to start trying. In the meantime I think I'm going to make sure he's getting enough to drink during the day to fill up that potty when he's ready. 

No comments: