Thursday, November 01, 2012

Happy Halloween!

Blake has been looking forward to Halloween so much; me - not so much!  It seemed to take him forever to decide what he wanted to go as, ruling out all the pre-made costumes that we already own (pirate, knight, Batman, Spiderman) and instead finally opting for something that was really scary - a vampire!  On Monday we went down to Brixton and picked up some red and black fabric, so that I could make a cape for him.  Are you wondering how I found time to learn how to sew since the last Christmas pageant?  Um, yeah...of course, no, I still don't know how to sew, but of course, I need to buy the fabric so that I can think that I actually do know how, or that I can just really quickly learn.  Because really, nothing is impossible, right?

I do firmly believe that nothing is impossible, although I am willing to acknowledge that certain things are most definitely impractical, or illogical.  The creation of a vampire cape would certainly be classified correctly as either of those two things, in fact, probably both of them.  At any rate, we got the fabric on Monday, but it wasn't until today that I started to imagine how I would actually fashion into some sort of cape-like creation that actually stayed around Blake's neck.  Fortunately, my office is in the heart of the import/export textile world of Petticoat Lane Market in the East End of London, so of course I just assumed I could quickly pop into one of these shops before work and either kindly ask them to just cut me a pattern, and oh, maybe they could just actually sew it for me.  And yes, please, a button or snap at the neck would be lovely, thank you!

It was moments like this morning where I definitely will acknowledge that my realm of possibilities most definitely simply exceed what is reality.  The first shop I went into had hundreds of rolls of fabric; did they sew there, I asked?  No, not here.  Ok, do you know of anywhere around here?  Maybe try the shop that is supposedly around the corner but whose name I could not understand, and anyway, there is definitely not a shop here that fits the bill.  I could have bought 10,000 digital watches and 20 boxes of lighters, but there was no tailor in sight.  Oh but look, there is a tailor shop!  Do they sell velcro (because at this point, that's what I was in search of).  No, try the shop on Brick Lane...they might have it.  Does that shop have a name [Brick Lane is kind of long, you see].  Yeah, the name is "Trimming Shop" [or at least, that's what I heard].  Trotted over to Brick Lane and managed to find a shop called Z. Butt Textiles which had a variety of tools and sewing devices which looked really handy, if you know how to sew that is.  I was thrilled they had velcro - hooray!  Did I want the sew-on style or the stick-on style.  I debated a millisecond: stick-on style...yes, please!  One roll was £2.00.  I had about £1.32 on me and it didn't seem like the type of place that took cards.  Quick run to the local cash point and then back, where I decided to splurge for 3 rolls of the stick-on velcro (just in case of botched attempts).  What a result.  Then, the plan was to actually do something about the creation of the cape during my lunch hour, which actually never materialized, but nevermind because quickly it was the end of the day and I had to rush off for a dentist appointment in Herne Hill before rushing home to prep the boys for the exciting trick-or-treating in the neighborhood.  We probably went to about 10 houses total - I'm quite happy to keep it small for the moment.

I managed to construct the cape with the velcro (vowing once again to buy a little sewing machine and teach myself to do at least a simple straight stitch) and it actually looked cute.  Blake was mostly interested in the fake blood that we'd bought, and I'd never managed to find any fake teeth so I drew on some fangs.  He was happy.  Noah was a pirate and Matt quickly drew him an eye patch, and we were ready to roll.  I was totally flustered having never even taken off my coat from when I arrived home to when we went out again, but nevermind.  We had a good time, and hearing Noah say, "Ahoy, maties," and Blake replaying my punny line when he got candy ("Fang you very much!") was enough to keep a smile on my face.  The crazy things I do in the sake of creativity, perseverance and disorganization!

Now, I wonder if I will have to make any nativity costumes this year....


No comments: