Tuesday, September 18, 2012

End of a lot of things

Hello! Thought I was gone forever, did you? Yeah, sometimes it felt a bit like that for me, too. It's been a long summer, and although I want to try and backtrack a bit to recap what's been going on here in the hectic months of May-August, tonight is really about a couple of things. First, it's about me trying to renew my energy in updating this blog. This blog is a part of my life, and it's one I've been neglecting over the past few months...in favor of just keeping my head above water what with the work to the house, work, and the other work that is being a mother. I'm going to do a "before and after" house post, I promise! The second thing that happens tomorrow is that I go from being a "mother of a pre-schooler and a toddler" to a "mother of a school-age child (and a toddler"...a loud one, at that!). I suppose that I define myself as more than by my children, and really, this isn't about me - the story should just be that Blake's starting school, and how exciting that is for him. Of course there is that. Sure there is. But there's also this feeling I'm having which is about my reaction to hearing parents say things like "It goes by so fast..." and my wondering, Hmm, is that's how it's going to be for me? Surely it won't go that quickly, surely I'll be present and in the moment and be aware of the passing of time, etc.

I guess in many ways 4 and a half years has gone quickly, but in other ways it hasn't. "The days are long but the years go quickly." A lot has happened in 4 years...we've moved, had Noah, broke a world record for length of time it takes to make alterations to a home, had a lot of laughs, a fair amount of tears, the occasional yelling, and all in all, I feel like I haven't had a decent night's sleep in a long, long time. And all my hair has stayed the same color in that time - can you believe it? (ok, no, you're right, that isn't true!).

I was in Boston last week for a work trip, and while Matt and Mom and Dad held the fort (not, as my mom might say, "Hold down the fort") with the boys, I enjoyed being woken by an actual alarm clock that doesn't pounce on me to wake me up and catching up with my US team. It was sure good to get back on Saturday morning, though...I brought the boys some souvenirs from Fenway Park which they enjoyed for about 3 minutes and 20 seconds. Long enough for me to get some photos!

And so, I hope that my writing energy will continue tomorrow and I'll post some photos of Blake's first day at school. It's a whole new era...and the question isn't, "Are we ready?" but "What time do we have to wake up?!" Have fun, Blakey boy - you're going to do great!

 

No comments: