Monday, May 14, 2012

Bring in the bread loaves

It is with great relief that I declare my "wheat ban" over!  For those of you who are friends with me on Facebook, you'll know that on the second weekend in, I caved and had Friday night Papa John's with the boys.  Although I was pretty good for the next two weeks, I started cheating a bit more and having wheat when I felt like it.  The main reason for this is that I am pretty sure - drum roll, please...that wheat and I are ok together.  Yes, that's right - can you visualize the image of me lounging on a piece of toast in a bowl of Fruit and Fibre, giving a group of assorted dried pasta a hug?  No...?  Ok, yeah, I guess that is a bit weird. 

Anyway, I didn't really feel any better once I cut out wheat, and I might argue that I actually felt worse at times during the course of the four weeks!  I have several theories on this, the strongest one being that going from 46 days of my alcohol fast, straight into the wheat ban, coupled with just about the most miserable weather month known in my living history, did not set my mind up to be very tolerant of any sort of further deprivation.  The timeline was something like this: I wanted wine - I got non-alcoholic beer.  I wanted spaghetti - I got pasta made out of corn (which wasn't actually bad).  I wanted sunshine - I got rain.   It was just a bit too much for my brain to cope with.  When the weather is foul, think about what you'd want to eat...I bet a lot of it would involve wheat.  Soup alone just is boring, but with toast it's a hearty and warming meal.  Cheese on toast...yummy.  Melted cheese on a rice cake?  Not so good. 

So anyway, it's back on the toast (did I mention that I love toast?) and I feel a lot better for it.  The other change, however, that the wheat ban made me realize, is that it isn't really enough to cut something out and expect to lose weight!  I knew this already!  So once I found that I didn't lose any more around my middle than what I should have lost by discontinuing my doughnut-a-day habit, I got a bit disheartened.  But then last week what I decided that what I prefer over self-control is simply control - in a good way, in that I'm going to control what I do in the way of exercise.  My company is doing a 5k run in July so last week I turned my running shoes from the "iconic fashion item for modern mothers" that they had been, into the sports accessory that they were designed to be, and hit the pavement. 

And I'm feeling good!  I can say that I'm very sorry for people who do have a wheat intolerance - or any allergy or intolerance, really -  but it's very encouraging that so much progress in the food industry has been made to allow those with allergies and intolerances to enjoy a wider range of items. 

So, what food do you think you couldn't live without?  I am not recommending you try it to see, just being curious...!

No comments: