Sunday, October 16, 2011

Late-night reading

One of the main reasons I haven't done as much blogging as I would like to be doing is that I have been doing more reading than I've done in what seems like the last several years combined.  At some point earlier in the year I decided that I really needed to be reading books (actual books, in case you're wondering, I haven't yet moved on to e-books and at the moment have no interest in a Kindle - one of the boys would just break it, I'm sure), so that my brain wouldn't just be rotting away in my head.  I also made it a point to start using my local library more, although that interest has faded somewhat since our local library shut due to all the copper on its roof being stolen, giving way to a health and safety issue that when it rains, it's possible that the whole building and its electrical system are rendered dangerous.  The roof is being fixed, but it's been a long job so far and I'm not holding out much hope of its being completed anytime soon.  Still, I'm glad they didn't decide to close it altogether.

At any rate, I've stayed up a few late nights over the past few months in order to finish a book, most recently tonight with One Day by David Nicholls.  Although for many of the early years in the twenty that are charted I was a bit bored, overall I certainly enjoyed it and was reading eagerly to see what happened next in the journey of Dexter and Emma.  I have to say, what I got was not what I was expecting!  I checked the movie listings earlier today and the film seems to have all but disappeared from the screens here, so it must not have been very successful in the screen version.

A few weeks ago, I finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, something I'd never had much interest in but finally decided to go with the crowds when I saw it on the shelf at the temporary library.  I loved it - could not stop reading it, and then when I finished over 250 pages in one evening, I had a feeling that I needed to start again where I'd begun that evening and re-read parts to check whether I had actually followed it.  I haven't yet moved on to the sequels, but I think I will at some point.  I'm trying to mix it up with the genres.

Also a library loan, I enjoyed the Hunger Games, in the way that I enjoyed the Twilight trilogy once I realized that I had to go to the Teen section to find it.  I've heard that Katniss gets increasingly annoying as the series goes on, so that's another one where I'm giving myself time to forget the writing style a bit so as not to get bored too quickly.  I found it very entertaining, though.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake was an interesting read.  I really struggle to say whether I liked it or not, but it kept my attention and I bet if pushed, I would say that I liked it more than I disliked it.  Not very feel-good though., in my opinion.  I had to do a lot of research online afterwards to see what others thought of it, and what the theories were on aspects of the plot line.  Which perhaps isn't a bad thing, a book that makes you think...! 

Thus far, my favorite book of the year is clearly, without a doubt, The Help - and the film is finally making its way to these shores in the next couple of weeks.  I can't wait; I thought that book was just the most amazing and beautiful story, in those several voices which were each so rich and pure.  Wow, I really loved it.

I've now started on The Mumsnet Rules, and there's a story there, which I'll hope to tell after I get a decent night's sleep while I ponder what to read next.  What have you read recently that you would recommend?

No comments: