Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Summer colds are a drag!

Two Thursdays ago I started to come down with a summer cold, surely one of the most depressing things that can appear in the heart of summer.  I was out with some old colleagues and I just started to feel really shaky, and like I was going to be sick - and I'd only had one glass of wine!  I had to make it an early evening, but then by Saturday I was going hoarse and then by Monday was feeling really congested and miserable.  Blake also had a really bad cough that has made me feel terrible.  I took him to the doctor on Monday, though, and she said it was likely just a summer virus.  Wonderful...
On Saturday we went to a bbq hosted by Blake's friend Mia and her parents Tricia and Mike.  We'd been in the morning to a little local fair at a nearby children's centre, and Blake was nearly first in the queue for...you guessed it - face painting!  The two little boys in front of him both chose to be green monsters, so I thought that's what he'd picked - but instead, he wanted to be a pirate.  I'm really sad that I didn't get a picture of this one given that I have a shot from all his other painted faces this summer.  Oh well...it was a really good one - a nice thin moustache and a painted eye patch, along with a skull and crossbones on his cheek. 

The weather on Sunday was glorious, and we had a few folks over to do a mini early birthday celebration.  We grilled burgers and sausages, boiled corn on the cob, and had a tub full of beer and wine - it was a nice day but I was exhausted by the end of it!  I had a really hectic week at work trying to pull together a company-wide presentation for Thursday night, but it went well and it's over now so I feel a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I'm looking forward to getting back to my normal work again.

I can't remember if I reported or not, but I ran my 5k race back on the 7th in a really good time for me: 34:58 (and it was actually 5.6km).  Since then I have only run once and I feel so unfit already, so as soon as I beat my cough it will be back to pounding the pavement again!  I was amazed at how spurred on I was by the crowd and the other runners - there was no question about just stopping and having a little break (something I do rather often when I am running on my own!) and toward the end I knew I was going faster than normal but I felt like I couldn't slow down.  It was really fun and I'm debating registering for something later in the year to help focus my training.

Then, just like that, another weekend was gone...why is it they seem to go sooo quickly?!

Here is some breaking news: Matt does know how to operate a camera, when under instruction!  The downside is that this makes me realize that I really need to go get my roots done...be careful what you wish for...

No comments: