Wednesday, January 12, 2011

More potty updates

One of the first cassette tapes I owned (remember those?) was Paula Abdul's Forever Your Girl, and I've been humming the first couple lines of "Opposites Attract" the past few days: "I take two steps forward, I take two steps back..." and reminiscing about being a 12-year-old girl who was so happy to have her first tape, as opposed to a 34-year-old woman who was trying not be beaten down by a 3-year-old's potty training efforts.

Blake, to his credit, has been doing really well. On Friday he went to nursery and only had one accident, but they said he had done a good job about trying to go. He insisted on leaving his pull-up on after his naptime, but when he came home he sat in his potty and did a wee - cue the party atmosphere which I can conjure up for such occasions! On Saturday we were due to go see Matt's Uncle David, so we pretty much put the whole thing on hold since it was probably not in anyone's interest for us to force it upon someone else's carpets or conversation. For some reason I can't quite remember what happened on Sunday, but I do remember that on Monday morning Blake came to wake me up with an excited, "Mommy, come see! Come see what I've done!" I knew that it could go two ways, but I was over the moon when I saw he'd done a wee on his potty - I was most impressed that he had taken his pull-up off to do it...he was getting it! Ten minutes later, he poo'd his pants, but I'm trying to focus on the positives!

Today was also a morning wee in the potty (yay!), then a poo in the pants (boo!, but outwardly, it's ok); then an evening wee in the potty, then a poo in the pants. Suddenly it's not very much fun anymore, and I'm of course now wondering what it is that's going to make him decide it isn't really a good thing to go in your pants, as in a way whether he poos his pants or his nappy doesn't seem to make much difference to him. Either way I'm wiping his bum.

I guess for now I just have to accept that we make take two steps forward and then two steps back. And that I need to have the potty at the ready at all times!

No comments: