Sunday, November 07, 2010

DwL editor in technology u-turn

London (BP) - The editor of the acclaimed blog Dances with Lyons has made a surprise u-turn related to Facebook, rejoining the social networking site a mere three months after her departure.
"This is an interesting decision for me," she admitted in an exclusive interview. "On the one hand, I haven't missed it and I certainly didn't think to myself, 'Oh, I wonder what so-and-so's status update is today.' On the other, I remember going to get my hair cut and asking my hairdresser if he was on Facebook. When he replied, 'Isn't everyone?' I started to wonder if I'd done the right thing. The mother of a friend of my son had a baby this week, and I was on a list of "special people" who got an email with information because we weren't on Facebook. I thought to myself, 'I don't want to be the person for whom people have to make an exception in terms of communication.' When I was growing up, we didn't - and actually my parents still don't - have an answering machine, and I lamented this lack of technology. In a way, this is a similar situation. I could ask people to send me updated photos or write to them and ask them what they're up to, but the reality is, Facebook makes this easier. My original intention when leaving was to see if I could work out who I really wanted to keep in touch with, and in all honesty I miss being connected with certain people. If I was wrong to leave in the first place, I'm willing to admit that."
She also revealed that her decision was made easier when she logged in one evening using her husband's account. "I saw a photo of a friend's son and was amazed at how much he'd grown since the last photo I'd seen of him. I could have probably kept logging in under Matt's account to have a peek at what people are up to, but that felt wrong. I just went ahead and signed back up there and then."
"In the few months since I've been off Facebook, I wouldn't say I've replaced it with a specific meaningful activity. Friends are important. If this is how modern friendships work, I don't want to miss out. I still respect all of those who aren't on Facebook, but I guess I'm back for now."
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg was unavailable for comment.

No comments: