Saturday, October 16, 2010

Libraries - good or bad?

Earlier this summer, I was in a newly-renewed, loving relationship with my local library. I was amazed at the fact that all those books, cds, newspapers, computers, and movies were there to be borrowed, for free, and that the facility was available for the underprivileged, spoiled, young, old, educated, uneducated. They're an amazing concept, really, when you think about it.


I have enjoyed reading several books over the past couple of months - I got into the Twilight series and became wrapped up with the teenage vampire tales, and after two of those I decided to switch to the Sookie Stackhouse novels, inspiration for the True Blood tv series. I have to say that these didn't grab me as much, or perhaps I started reading them at a point when my free time was at a low, but all of a sudden I feel as if my relationship with the library has changed. The reason for this is that on Monday I have two books due, and their due date feels more like a reminder to me that I accomplish very little these days (besides looking after the boys). I'm about 50 pages into one book, and several pages into the introduction of Romeo and Juliet, which I started reading after seeing a reference in Twilight that I didn't quite understand...I decided I'd better get educated. I'm debating whether I should renew them again - I've done this once already - or just return them and let it be a sign that I don't have time to do any leisure reading.

Anyway, there was a point to this post, but I can't remember it anymore (I started it a week ago!). Maybe it had to do with wondering if someone could invent a library that lent time, as opposed to books. If only...I'm sure I would be overdue for returning that too, though!

No comments: