Sunday, September 05, 2010

Could this be genetic?

One of the things my Mom is famous for (at least among my Dad and me) is mixing her metaphors. I can't think of any specific examples at the moment but I know she is and has always been prone to doing it.

I had to laugh the other day when I was trying to tell Blake off, as I wondered if this is a specific trait that is possibly passed down among the generations in our DNA. The boys and I were sitting on the couch and Blake had kicked me - I want to say playfully but I'm not sure it was - and I got very stern with him. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Blake, stop kicking! You know kicking is not nice.

Blake: Why, Mommy? (kicks again)

Me: BLAKE, you are walking very close to...very close to

(I could almost visualize my brain waves going a bit funny here, as if they were bumper cars about to crash, and I could feel my lip quivering as I hesitated before deciding what to do)

I actually then went ahead and said it - thin ice - because I couldn't think of what else to say, before bursting out laughing.

Blake then started laughing and somehow my disciplinarian cloak had to be removed, because I had to explain to him that that wasn't really what I wanted to say!

Oh, silly Mommy, it's not a problem if you walk close to thin ice, it's only a problem if you're walking on thin ice, or close to the edge (I guess that's what I was looking for?!)

The moment passed and we carried on as friends, so it must be true that laughter is the best medicine. Or something like that...

No comments: