Saturday, July 10, 2010

TV is not all that bad

This week Blake dropped down to 3 days at nursery, so I have decided that with the extra day at home, I'm going to have to try to re-discover my fairly dormant love of arts and crafts. Ikea, in addition to the bed, also had some really inexpensive drawing papers and paints and crayons, so I got some stuff to try to stock a "rainy day/late afternoon fun" box.

We happened to be watching a show called Mister Maker yesterday and the presenter showed how to draw a pirate by tracing himself with a magic pencil. This show is really cool - the guy just makes really cool and clever things - but always in the past I've watched it and thought to myself, "I must remember this idea, but first I need to go buy some paints/pipe cleaners/glue/tissue paper...." The pirate tracing looked like something we could do since I had just bought this big roll of paper, so we gave it a shot.

Blake really enjoyed it, and today we did another one, this time a space man.

I was particularly impressed with my space shuttle belt buckle, a nice accessory I thought.

There was a funny moment when I had drawn a moon above the space man's head, and then later on started to draw the surface of the moon under his feet. While I was drawing the surface and saying something about him taking a walk on the moon, Blake reminded me that there was already a moon and pointed to the first fingernail-shaped one that I'd drawn...and I thought, oh yeah, can't have 2 moons, remember what you've already drawn, silly Mommy!

Anyway, I'm going to start paying a bit more attention to this Mister Maker show and then try to get the things to be able to do more of the stuff. I've found in the past few weeks that life is a lot more enjoyable if you don't feel guilty all the time or worry that you're doing everything wrong, so this just proves tv can't be all that bad if it led us to spend about an hour on these drawings! Now I just need to remind myself about the solar system before I go making up extra planets...

No comments: