Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Sunday's a holy day

At Dartmouth, one of the songs we sang in the rugby team was about the days of the week: "Monday's a working day...Saturday's a rugby day", etc. and then the chorus was "Is everybody happy? You bet your a** we are!" followed by some twirling around and humming. No doubt there was a sip or two of beer every now and then. Like many of the songs we sang, the activities of most of the other days cannot be written here for fear of disturbing the sensitive younger readers of DwL. At any rate, in the song Sunday was a "holy day" (accompanied by praying hands) and I've been singing this song to myself the past couple of weeks since we have made our way to the nearby church, All Saints, for the past 4 Sundays. The church is really lovely and one of the nicest things about it is that there is no specific connection to any local school, which in my mind means that everybody is there for pretty genuine reasons, as opposed to being there to try to get in good with the church to have a better chance of getting a place at the school. These things happen...

I've been down with Blake to the Junior Church where they have games and activities related to the Gospel or the readings - I actually thought to myself this past week that as opposed to feeling like I am "missing out" on the actual church service because of being with the kids, the kids' lesson is probably at my level at the moment for what I can process mentally! I have made some nice acquaintances so far and hope that this can become "our" church.

This past Sunday we were also then visited by the lovely Heidi for lunch. The only downside to her coming over was that she brought us a box of chocolates which I devoured in less than 24 hours. I must, must, must get some control over myself if I don't want people to start questioning whether another baby is on the way - I think I have definitely put on weight since Noah arrived, which is not exactly the direction you want things to be heading.

And finally along the Sunday theme, I can finally re-post something that Raina sent along, Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody covered by members of Church on the Move in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Tulsa is home of two of my aunts and their families and I keep meaning to check if they know this church. At any rate the lyrics of Mommy Rhapsody certainly made me smile: "Kitchen, kids and laundry - everything is dirty - no sleep, no sleep", and "Mommy, I don't want to die - well you should've thought of that before you broke my lamp". And the nice thing is that the lyrics are suitable for all!

Mommy Rhapsody from Church on the Move on Vimeo.

No comments: