Tuesday, May 04, 2010

There's a hole in my...

Blake really loves a cd which was given to him for his first birthday, with lots of common nursery rhymes and songs. He's a bit confused about several terms, and calls the cd his "cdd" (we think he's confusing this with CBeebies, the BBC's children's channel, or a dvd).
One of the tracks is a song which Matt described as "really just a domestic argument," called "There's a Hole in my Bucket". You can see the lyrics here. Basically the man starts off by saying that he has a hole in his bucket, the measures to fix it actually arrive back at the fact that he needs to carry water to mend the hole, but because the bucket has a hole, he can't. A vicious circle, you might say.

Over the past 4 days, I have become very aware of the fact that we have a problem in our house. Well, we have many problems, of course, but the one that has taken pole position in my consciousness is that we have a problems with moths. I had noticed a few of the adults on the walls around dusk for some time, I think probably since we moved in, but something has kind of clicked in me that rather than just letting these pests eat up and ruin all our wools and silks, I had better act. Matt did not seem overly bothered about this, but I would say over the past 4 days, moths have taken more of my "worry energy" than either of my two babies have. So I'm kind of worried...

After the usual Google searches in order to determine what to do, I now understand that it's going to take some work, which is probably what I knew deep down earlier, and probably why I haven't done anything about it yet. I am aware that I need to be careful about what sort of product we get because of the chemicals and the two little people in the house. I think cedar and lavendar oil are going to need to be purchased, but what I'm more worried about is that I think it may be a big deal to completely resolve the issue, because of the "old" nature of the house. The upstairs bedrooms all have what are probably original floorboards. Kind of a lovely concept initially, but upon closer look, original floorboards with large cracks between them and massive gaps between the walls and the floorboards. God knows how much dirt and crud is in them, and I have a feeling that these "friends" of ours could be feeding on wool, fiber, and dirt in these cracks and gaps. Did you just hear a very loud and exhausted sigh? That's the noise I just made thinking about this.

Matt is working from home today, and about an hour ago he went upstairs to put on a jumper because we don't usually have the heat on in the day and the beautiful weather we had in April has been replaced by low 60's - so it's kind of chilly. I was in the living room when I heard him say from upstairs, "There's a hole in my jumper." He said it just like that, just a single sentence that then hung in the space between us. Cue my sinking heart. I was, though, reminded of the bucket tune and about how we could probably re-invent the song using jumper instead of bucket. ("With what shall I mend it, dear Meg, dear Meg, well you can't, dear Matt, because it's been eaten, been eaten")

At the moment I'm sitting in my bedroom, while Noah naps in his Moses Basket. I have started to pull out some sweaters from our wardrobe and the news is not good. While I ponder what equipment I need to approach this mission - plastic clothes storage bags, cedar blocks, lavendar oil (this article was a good one, I thought) - I decided to blog about it first, as somehow writing about it makes it more of an event as opposed to just a very annoying and challenging household problem. The good news is that although I keep imagining a Birds-like assault by hundreds of these moths when I open a wardrobe, or waking to find either Blake or Noah wrapped in a fiber cocoon woven overnight, the good news is that at least these moths aren't particularly dangerous. Let's just hope that we can work on a plan to beat them, and that the plan doesn't have any holes in it...

1 comment:

The Melbourne Virgin said...

Lavender works. I know cos that is what we used at The Cloth Shop and you can imagine how bad it would be if a fabric shop got moths. Although I have a feeling it is more preventative so if you already have them I am not sure how effective it will be, but certainly try it before getting the house sprayed.
hope that helps dear Liza dear Liza