Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Make new friends but keep the old

I did the entry year of Girl Scouts before deciding it wasn't for me, but in that one year of Brownies the one thing I remember is singing a song with the line "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold."

On Monday we headed up to Kensal Rise to meet up with the old NW6/NW10 crowd, and man, did it make me realise how much I miss all of Blake's little mates and their mothers! We had a nice time in Queen's Park and I enjoyed getting to see some of the 2nd generation, as well as gather a few tips on how to cope with the baby and the toddler from the other mums who are on to #2.

Anna and Joseph came and met us and then we headed back to theirs, the trip to which made me decide wholeheartedly that I probably need to invest in a double buggy. The idea has been going around in my head for a few weeks now, as on the days when I have both Blake and Noah I tend to do a lot of driving, which is not only bad for the environment but is definitely not good for trying to burn baby fat. We thus far had invested in a buggy board which is a platform that clips on to the back of the pram, that Blake then stands on while I push Noah. It's great for the short distance to nursery, for instance, but the trip from QP to Chris and Anna's was just that little bit too long for a tired Blake, and he wanted to sit on it and drag his feet and just kept falling off.

Yesterday I therefore headed over to Mothercare and took the plunge to buy a Phil and Ted's tandem, and will let you know how it goes once it arrives.

In the meantime, here were the thoughts of the three of us on Tuesday morning from about 6:30-8:30:

Meg: What, where am I? (the answer: bed)
Noah: Get me out of this basket, I'm hungry.
Blake: How come he gets all the attention?! "Look at me, Mommy, look at me! I've done a poo poo - isn't that great?"
Meg: "Yes, Blake, that's great. Let's go change you. Are you sure you don't want to learn to use the potty?"
Noah: Hey, remember me? I don't ask for much, just feed me please.
Blake: How come he gets all the attention? "Mommy, I want to watch Chuggington."
Meg: Have I had my coffee yet?!
Noah: No, I don't want that plastic thing. I am not that easily fooled, lady.
Blake: "MOMMY, want to watch Chuggington!"
Meg: Forget coffee, did I finish my glass of wine last night?...it's probably around here somewhere.
Noah: How come he gets all the attention?
Blake: "Why is Noah crying, Mommy?"
Meg: "I don't know, sweetie, he's probably hungry."
Noah: Hey buddy, get your paws off my head please.
Blake: "Noah. Eat this [plastic tractor]."
Meg: "Oh, Blake, he doesn't want that tractor in his mouth." Did I just feel a hair turn grey?
Noah: Not the tractor, no, but I am hungry!
Blake: How come he gets all the attention?
Noah: How come he gets all the attention?
Meg: Is it time for Daddy to come home yet?

No comments: