Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The evolution of grammar

One of the things I've found most fascinating about Blake recently is the way his talking has really come along. His mastery of the imperative mood ("Mommy, sit down!") certainly causes me exasperation, while his ability to identify himself as a subject still needs quite a bit of work ("My watching tv", "My washing up", "My driving"). In the past couple of days he has developed two new interesting words and turns of phrase, one being "nope" and the other being that he ends quite a few of his sentences with "maybe", such as "My want grapes...maybe?" The latter is accompanied by upturned hands, a shrug, and raised eyebrows, which does make me laugh. Tonight I heard Matt say "maybe" several times but he then said that he had picked it up from Blake! I am not sure that's how it works, honey...
Anyway, stay tuned for more on this exciting topic. Blake is cunning, in that when he wants something he has learned to say "Mommy sweet boy" to evidently remind me of the times when he's in my good books and I call him my sweet boy. We are working on avoiding the "Want MommyDaddy bed" which has cropped up in the deepest hours of the morning recently. I can just predict that it won't be long before he's saying "Can I have some money and borrow the car?" to which I might just have to respond, "Nope"...

No comments: