Sunday, January 10, 2010

Laundry pile domination!

I remember vaguely, but fondly, all the hype in 1986 that accompanied Halley's Comet, as Wikipedia calls it the "only naked-eye comet that might appear twice in a human lifetime". I can't actually recall seeing it, but I do recollect being an excited 10-year-old and I'm sure we at least tried to see it even if, in the end, we did not.
The reason I harken back to this event is that in our household, we are also able today to see a rare sight: the (empty) bottoms of all three of our laundry baskets! I don't know what it is, but for most of the days, weeks and months of the year, Matt and I seem to have a constant collection of clothes that need washing, and we are almost never ever able to get through the washing and drying of all of them at once. This is most likely due to the fact that we're busy people, we have too many clothes, and drying in the English climate (without a tumble dryer) is difficult. The last time I remember having all our clothes clean was in the first week of my maternity leave in 2008 (and I was so excited about it then that I do remember writing a blog post to express my incredulous delight).
In the last 10 days or so, however, we have been living in a very cold house in the middle of the coldest weather Britain has seen in decades, and that has meant that we have had our heating on nearly constantly. The effect of all this hot, dry, air - along with doing dishes and not remembering where I packed my moisturizer - on my skin is almost painful to describe - my itchy, blotchy, red, dry, cracked hands sum it up! The effect on the laundry pile, however, has been beautiful! No sooner than a load is completed and hung on the radiators is it nearly dry and ready for packing away into drawers and dressers.
Which actually brings me to the realization that in fact, when all our clothes are clean, we don't have enough storage for all of them, so this is the downside. But for now I am going to revel in this once-every-two-years event and enjoy it. Come April I imagine there will be no way we'll stay on top of anything...

No comments: