Monday, August 31, 2009

Bank Holiday write-up

Hello from a Bank Holiday Monday in London! Needless to say, I'm glad you're reading...and that you haven't forgotten about DwL despite a severe drought on the blogging front from yours truly. I hate not doing the blog posts, but life has been very hectic lately - househunting takes up nearly all our waking moments (and I'm pretty sure I worry about it when I sleep as well!). We are still in the position where we have accepted an offer on our place, but haven't yet found somewhere to go. In the UK, you can verbally accept an offer and nothing is really kind of starting to seem absolutely certain (and then, not even certain) until you exchange contracts and have surveys done, etc. I have now seen 15 houses, in a wide variety of areas, and there are starting to emerge a few places that we might be able to start to imagine ourselves in. Here is where Matt's and my differing personalities come in: I, dreamy and optimistic, like a house which, when I walk into it I don't see it as it is now, but how it would be after having undergone some work (ok, a lot of work), in a lovely quiet street; Matt, pragmatic and even-headed, has spent the whole evening doing various calculations related to extensions and square footage (and I'm guessing the sighs were related to the cost or complication of these). My glasses are rose-colored; his vision is already 20/20. Anyway, stay tuned on that front.

We also had to deal with a newcomer to the flat this weekend...a 3-foot, 18-month-old terror who has replaced our sweet 17-month-old overnight. I think we are actually going to be relieved to go back to work tomorrow, because it can't be as hard work as Blake was this weekend - throwing food at mealtimes, screaming for most of the car rides to and from south London, not happy being indoors, not wanting to have a bath, and oh, I'm giving myself a headache recalling it! Teeth may be partly to blame - I think he may have had the top 2 molars poke through, but man, please let him wake up on the right side of the cot tomorrow!!!

We went down to Notting Hill Carnival on Sunday; we just went far enough to peek at a few of the floats before heading back to the calm, quiet emptiness of the Queen's Park sandpit. Blake was interested in the dancing crowds but a bit perplexed by it as well, I think.
Do you see those pink tights, Daddy?



Today I had planned a special "day off breakfast" - blueberry muffins, eggs and bacon. The idea was really nice, but the bacon started burning, the smoke alarm went off, Blake didn't want to eat any of it (apart from the entire muffin on a fork), and it just wasn't quite how I imagined it.

We then headed back down to saaaf London- my 3rd trip in 5 days - and after driving around an area where we'd seen 4 houses on Saturday (and today ruling that area out!), we spent a good few hours in Dulwich Park, playing on the swings and quacking at the ducks. For some reason the cheeky smile was back for these photos.

And so, on to another week. Maybe one of these days I'll get back into the blogging swing. I look forward to it, not only because it would mean I would get to be writing and not having "bloguilt", but also because it would inherently mean that the time I'm spending on the computer at home would not be spent on estate agents' sites. With that, I bid you goodnight.

No comments: