Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Working life

By 9:00 am this morning, I was ready for the day to be over and to be back on the sofa for the evening. It seems these days I just have to pack so much into a single day that I feel constantly pressed for time. Here's the breakdown of the past 24 hours or so for me...
10:00 pm - 1:30 am: Miscellaneous computer work - downloading Blake's birthday photos, finally replying to emails which have been sitting in my inbox for several days now, short blog, reinstalling Skype after various failed attempts to have a video call with Will and Raina (we could see them, but they saw a black box for us!). I have a new phone, which has a feature that, when you set an alarm, tells you the time until the alarm goes off. I've found it to be rather depressing because it generally does not add up to enough hours of sleep!
6:15 am - alarm goes off. Guess I must have hit snooze because it wasn't until 6:45 that I actually got out of bed.
Panic about what to wear, followed by relief when I remember a shirt which I ironed last week; although not very stylish, will do just fine for the office.
Quickly slap a bit of makeup on and go to heat water for bottle. This part of the morning should now be better as we're hopefully going to move Blake off of formula and onto regular milk, meaning that there should be less "waiting for the boiled water to cool" in the morning.
7:12: Bottle to Blake. Realization that I will not have time for breakfast despite the time-saving from not having to iron.
7:18-7:25: Attempt to dress wriggling Blake; make mental note to change the heating settings as after all this exertion I am sweating profusely. Quick spray of perfume. Finally manage to get both of us ready with a few minutes to spare, although we still don't manage to leave the flat until 7:32
7:32: Where is the stroller?! Remember it's in the car...
7:33: Greet next-door neighbour on the way out. Should I ask if she thinks we're quieter since the sleep improvement plan? No, maybe not...
7:35: Start walking toward bus stop. Smile as I remember finding "Squirrel" as we pass by #29.
7:40: Electronic board for the bus says it will be 3 minutes until the #52 bus. Not too bad a wait.
7:46: 52 bus finally comes; fortunately no other strollers on board already so on we go.
7:52: Stuck in traffic on Kensal Rise. Blake making it very clear to everyone on the bus that he is not happy to be stuck in his stroller, on a bus stuck in traffic. I look around the bus trying to earn sympathy and do mental calculations once again about whether we could afford to go down to one salary. The rest of the bottle helps calm him down. Ponder how in the world will we ever move him off the bottle, and decide to save that thought for now.
7:56: Finally moving down Ladbroke Grove, have annoying feeling that I didn't brush my teeth. Remember doing it, so that's good, but am grateful to have mints in my purse.
8:00: Arrive at nursery; no surprise, we're the first ones there! B starts wailing as I leave, as he seems to do every day. Return to mental calculations and wonder if I could start my own school or something.
8:05: Back on bus, scope area for a place to pick up something quick for breakfast
8:10: Get scone for 48p at Tregesers and am amazed as the same scone would cost over £1.00 at Liverpool Street station.
8:12: Enter Ladbroke Grove station. Decide not to get free Metro paper as all the news is too depressing. See loads of people exiting the station and sigh as I realize they're all coming from an eastbound train. Even though the announcement proclaims a "good service", this will mean at least a 5-minute wait.
8:18: Man on platform reminds me of Nicole Kidman's country singer husband but I can't recall his name. It's not him, anyway. Scoff scone and wish I'd had cereal at home instead. Wonder what I'm going to do to get rid of the very obvious spare tire which has crept on to my waist. Realise that I am one of those people who has a gym membership but doesn't use it.
8:20: Train finally comes; I don't get a seat but am happy to have a good book I'm currently reading - The Outcast by kind-of local author Sadie Jones.
8:21: Strong smell of mothballs. It's not me, though, I'm pretty sure.
8:52: Arrive at Aldgate station
8:55: Take stairs up in order to work on exercising when I can. By floor 2 I am breathing really heavily. By floor 4 I am ready to collapse.
9:00: Laptop slowly comes to life. Regret not being in a little bit earlier as it's 9:15 by the time I get some water and a cup of tea.
9:15-1:00 pm: Pretty much nonstop emails, calls and meetings; I need a break from the office so I go to Pret to get a sandwich. I wanted sushi but decided Pret's offering was too expensive at £5.25 a box. Sandwich not all that much better at £3.50.
1:12 pm: Take the stairs again. This time I count them; there are over 100! Arriving at the landing, Emma from HR is waiting for the lift and tells me that she heard the steps getting slower and slower and wondered if she was going to have to go rescue someone!
1:20: Sandwich consumed, it's back to more emails, calls and meetings til 4:30
4:28: Check TFL website for service updates. A good service running on all lines - for now!
4:35: Out the door - taking the stairs down is much easier. Wonder how much longer I would have stayed if I didn't have to leave.
4:38: Miss Metropolitan Line by a second but fortunately Circle Line is waiting and ready to leave.
5:15: Arrive Ladbroke Grove and catch bus for a few stops to nursery
5:20: Get Blake, who's barefoot and surprisingly wearing the same clothes I left him in this morning. He greets me with a lick (which he thinks is a kiss). He's had a pretty good day, they tell me, although he didn't eat much and has just had diarrhea. Great.
5:30: 52 bus comes, although it's packed and the driver tells me I can't get on with the stroller. I tell her I'll fold it and this takes forever while half the bus gives me dirty looks and the other half seems to take pity and try to offer me their seats.
5:42: The area for the strollers has cleared so now the driver wants me to move. A kind man (who agrees that the bus driver is not making life easy for me) tries to help me by moving the stroller but by this point my thoughts are only on how in the world I could possibly avoid this part of the day. Blake is flirting with a young woman who must remind him of the waitresses at the William IV pub, by whom he is always mesmerized. He then decides, however, to try to grab my glasses off my face which makes standing up on the lurching bus with him in my arms and keeping the glasses on my face very difficult. Resolve to think a bit more about contacts.
5:56: We finally get home. Blake has a banana, an avocado, and a yogurt, but he's clearly exhausted so I then try to get him into the bath as quickly as possible.
6:20: Sound in the hallway - hooray, Matt is home!
6:45: Blake's had bottle and rubbing eyes, so he's the lucky one who gets to go to bed first!
Til now, various Internet activities - including researching various out-of-the-way places for Mom and Dad's upcoming trip to the UK and a trip to Scotland for us in September. I am utterly exhausted.

And I bet tomorrow will be much of the same....!

No comments: