Monday, March 23, 2009

Where to begin?!

Well, I have to say that the time since Blake's first birthday seems to have flown, and I can't believe how long it has been since I put fingers to keys to do a post. So much seems to have happened that I hardly know where to begin, but I guess I could sum it up in a list:
- Blake turned one, and pretty much from that day on he has not crawled much since! He seems to now think of himself like the rest of us big people, and therefore gets around on 2 feet instead of hands and knees.
- Granny Karla and Grandpa John came from the US, and we all had a good time, apart from
- all 5 of us getting a nasty gastric bug which lasted about 10 days in total. The order was Blake, Meg, Granny K, and then Matt and Grandpa rounded out the complete set of innocent people crippled by this nasty thing (probably the noravirus, what likely caused the Fat Duck restaurant to have to shut)
- On Thursday a week ago, we went off to Clark's to get Blake's first pair of real shoes. He absolutely loved being the center of attention in the middle of the shop and flirted with pretty much everyone from the salesgirl to a pair of middle-aged women who were admiring his fancy steps in the new shoes. They took a little Polaroid of him which was fun, and now he can walk outside which we're enjoying doing.
- We celebrated Mother's Day yesterday in the UK with a trip to Regent's Park and Primrose Hill. Slightly cruelly we parked the buggy on the side of the hill and left Blake to his own devices...he basically kept toppling over like a little drunk old man...it was considerably more enjoyable than my official first Mother's Day which happened to be when Blake was 4 days old and I was desperate to get discharged from the hospital.
- I had my first "parent-teacher" meeting today at nursery - hee, hee. I learned that Blake is generally very good and doesn't cry or moan much during the day, likes the "home corner", books and pull toys, and that he really doesn't like finger painting and having his hands dirty (apart from with food, that is ok). I was very intrigued by the last point, although it could be that he will prefer impressionism or pointillism (something generally less messy) and not simply that he's unlikely to be a famous artist.
- At least once a day - sometimes much more often - I've regretted not having more time to spend on the blog, and other things that I just seem not to have any time for, notably the tidiness of the flat, attention to my ever-expanding waist, bum and rotundness of my face (I am currently courting possibly the most expensive gym membership on the planet...if you never go, it seems like a fortune), more/enough sleep, the list could go on and on...
Maybe one of these days I'll feel like I'm back in control of my life, but it doesn't seem likely anytime soon. At least writing this post will make me feel better, although by this point I would not be surprised if DwL readers have given up on checking in for updates. Stay with us and a closer-to-normal service may resume at some point soon...!

1 comment:

The Melbourne Virgin said...

I'm still here! It hasn't been THAT long since your last blog, so don't worry. Also I wouldn't think much about whether Blake likes finger painting at this point. I remember enjoying that exercise at around 4 yrs old, so don't write off his artistic abilities just yet.
xRaina