Sunday, March 08, 2009

Week in review

So now I know what I should have asked for for Christmas - a machine that either slows down time or adds additional hours to the day so that I could actually get everything done that I need to (or would like to)! It has seemed busier than ever, and I've been reminded of times in my life when I just had to take a loan from the sleep bank in order to fit things in. Last weekend was pretty full-on with Blake's birthday, and finally this week we had our first "normal" start-to-finish week - with my actually working all the hours expected of me, in the right locations, and Blake's getting through 4 whole days of nursery without catching something or needing to leave early. Thursday we held the rescheduled friends' party for Blake, which was good fun; while he enjoyed demonstrating his new walking skills, I was wishing we had a bigger place as our living room felt rather small when filled with 9 toddlers!
On Saturday Diane was the guest of honor at her baby shower, of which I was the hostess. I was up late on Friday baking and then was rescued by my amazing husband on Saturday morning as he set to work creating a selection of finger sandwiches that would rival a 5-star hotel's afternoon tea menu. Granny Karla and Grandpa John arrived from the US on Saturday morning, so while they rested we went off to Woking to admire "le bump" and see the progress that Jamie and Diane have made on their house in anticipation of the arrival of Baby Cook. They look pretty ready, or as ready as they'll ever be! Blake also admired Jamie's new Sony Bravia tv by repeatedly putting his face to the screen and licking it (erm, I do hope it still works today!). I then tested Jamie's preparedness for diaper duty by melting a Mars Bar in a nappy and presenting it open to him, with the guise of asking him if where I could throw it away. Always cool under pressure, he was swift to whisk it away to the outdoor bin before we let him in on the joke.
Last night's sleep was perhaps the most welcome activity of my past two weeks; I woke up this morning feeling so refreshed. We went to check out Kensal Rise's newest eating establishment, The Diner, but our reviews were mixed. There was a point when, of the 7 or 8 occupied tables, not one of them had any food on it, so I think they are going to have to improve their turnover if they want to have a chance of surviving. On the plus side, they do have a dedicated play area for the kids, so at least Blake was relatively entertained while we waited forever for the food to show up!
We then went over to the Farmers' Market in Queen's Park, namely to browse and for me to celeb spot (didn't see anyone I recognized). After that it was back here for a lazy Sunday watching cricket and dozing. Mom and Dad went off to Elizabeth's for a few days and once they'd gone I then had a fantastic nap on the couch for about 2 hours.
And so, here it is, nearing midnight on Sunday, and I've rewritten my To-Do list in anticipation of a new week. On it are the things I think I need to do; I really might as well forget about the things I'd like to do (some of them have been on there since September!). I just watched an episode of ER on Channel 4's Catch-up tv and only have one more to watch before I am actually "caught up." I'm also trying to stay with Desperate Housewives and on Tuesday I'm looking forward to the new BBC3 sketch show with Mathew Horne and James Corden of Gavin and Stacey fame. Do I actually have time to watch tv? No, not really. Will I find a way to fit it in somehow? Probably. I guess I'll just have to hope that the sleep bank, unlike many banks in our current economic climate, still continues to lend to people like me.

No comments: