Sunday, February 01, 2009

Film review: Slumdog Millionaire

About a week ago, we went to see the much-talked-about, Oscar-nominated Slumdog Millionaire, at our new local cinema, the Lexi. When I say "local", I'm excited to say that it's actually at the end of our street. It calls itself a "social enterprise" and its proceeds go to support community action in Africa. All in all, quite a cool thing to have going on at the end of the street.
Even cooler was the fact that Matt and I were able to go to the movies, together, in the evening. It wasn't a date, but more of a family outing, as urban family members Heidi and Becks came along; it was very nice! Chris and Anna babysat Blake; in this new era, that meant that they didn't even get to see him since he'd been asleep for about an hour when Anna arrived. Chris, however, managed to keep himself amused...
As for Slumdog, I liked it but have to disagree with the overall "feel-good" tag it keeps being given. Yes, of course, there are moments of happiness and points where the entire audience laughs, but generally I just sat there counting my blessings and feeling sad for children who are exploited, or are hungry, or have to grow up too quickly. Still, it felt wonderful to be out, and I didn't even worry when I realised that I didn't have reception on my phone - I knew Blake wouldn't likely wake up, and if there had been a problem, Chris or Anna could have even walked down to get us if they couldn't get through. As it was, Chris had more than enough time to configure 24 coloured blocks into words that I hope Blake won't be learning for quite some time yet...

No comments: