Monday, January 26, 2009

Mice, men, and Milk of Magnesia

I actually have very few memories of high school. Hickory High School is not the most architecturally appealing specimen of its kind, with some pretty awful primary-colored hallways, drab grey lockers, and floors the color of wet sand at the beach (this is what I remember, at least). Most of my memories are not of "hanging out" during the time between classes, or before or after school in the parking lot, or of proms or dances; instead they mainly center around the hours spent in the classroom and then the ones that followed on the sports field. My Senior English class was one of my favorites, taught by Kay Overcash, a woman who instilled in me the love of and attention to correct grammar. Every time I see Eats, Shoots and Leaves I think of her. I do remember its being in that class that we read John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. I like Steinbeck: perhaps because of my own mother's links to the Midwest, or perhaps for his simple but effective depictions of a life that I could perhaps never imagine for myself, I'm not sure. At any rate, you may be wondering where this is going (and if I were only a better writer, you might not have to wonder!!).
This morning was supposed to be the first day of our "Trial Run" week, preparing ourselves for the difficult (but not insurmountably so!) transition to my return to work and Blake's fall from being the Lord of the Leighton Gardens Manor from sun-up til sun-down. I set my alarm for 6:45 and eventually managed to get out of bed at 7:05 (...it is still practice after all!). Getting Blake out of his room at 7:30 was about the last thing that went with the practice plan, as once I changed him out of his pj's we had to make the call not to take him to nursery since he had a bottom the color of a cinnamon jelly bean, and these things once flared up don't tend to go away within the blink of an eye. A quick call to Lin confirmed that it would be best to keep him home if we could, and she prescribed a home-made remedy of 2 capfuls of Milk of Magnesia in warm water and then wiped on his bum. This later caused confusion because when I went to go get the Milk of Magnesia at the pharmacy, I couldn't quite remember if that's what she'd said, and I think I started to get confused with the word "magnesia" and decided that I possibly had "amnesia". The pharmacist had certainly never heard of this remedy.
Anyway, if you're a regular reader, you may have been expecting a post earlier in the day, about how I spent my first day of temporary freedom, but instead I was actually tending to Blake for most of the day. His 2nd tooth on the top left definitely seems to be ready to poke on through, so it could be that. Or it could be that he has a cold, or that he has a stomach bug. It's just so impossible to know with these little people! And so it was that I spent much of the day being reminded of my Senior year English class as I kept quoting to myself, "The best-laid plans of mice and men/often go awry."

No comments: